What do you do when absent mindedly boiling half a litre milk for almost an hour? In most cases, would throw it.But not my husband. He made Shahi Tukda out of it! It so happened that the husband was at home (while I was at work) and happened to over boil the milk, while being absent minded watching TV. The moment he saw the reduced milk, he thought of the amazing Shahi tukda his mum used to make during childhood with the naturally reduced milk and made up his mind to treat with it (how sweet!!).
Shahi Tukda (also called Double ka Meetha) is simply reduced milk (rabri)+sugar+bread, but it comes together so beautifully to make an awesome divine dessert. I simply loved it and for the 1st time did not get angry on the husband for leaving milk to boil absent mindedly!!
Recipe for Shahi Tukda
Milk (full fat is best) – Half Litre
Sugar – one fourth cup
Water – one fourth cup
Bread Slices - 2
Desi Ghee or Butter
- Boil Half litre milk so that it reduces to one forth into thick rabri, stirring in between so that it does not stick to pan.
- Make the sugar syrup by boiling one fourth cup of sugar in one fourth cup of water.
- Take Two bread slices and cut each into four pieces. Fry the bread pieces on a frying pan by applying desi ghee on both sides about two table spoons till they are light brown in colour.
- Dip the fried bread pieces in the sugar syrup and drain the excess syrup.
- Arrange bread pieces on a plate. Spread the rabri over bread pieces. Garnish with almond pieces.
If you try it anytime, do let us know how yours turned out!!